Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Riding mower engine

I need a new or used 10hp vertical shaft motor for a Craftsman 30" riding mower. There was a Craftsman motor on it 143.991002 Sears has a crossover chart telling me to use a Tecumseh, But they went out of business. Can you help?

Most all engine in the same horsepower range will bolt directly to the mower frame.

You need to measure the diameter, length and identify what keyway and threads you current crankshaft has.  Once you know the crankshaft you need you can search for a new replacement engine.  I suspect it is a pretty standard riding mower engine...lots of them are available.

You will probably have to do some basic wire connector modifications and the throttle cable may have to be re-routed but most engines will probably fit.

Let me know you crankshaft specs and I can search for a replacement engine.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology