Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/craftsman weedwacker starter pulley instal

QUESTION: I removed the starter pulley on my craftsman weedwacker model #358.796121 because it was not engaging I did this to verify that the starter palws were ok. now of course I can't seem to get them in the correct position to replace the starter pulley assembly how do you position them to replace the starter pulley assembly any help, advice and illustrations would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance

ANSWER: Are the starter pawls on the flywheel?  Can you attach a picture of the starter?  The parts diagram is terrible, can't see anything.

QUESTION: sorry it took so long I'm having a bitch of a time converting the pics from my iPhone

Based on the model number, the trimmer was made by Poulan, same as Weed Eater.

The following are Weed Eater model numbers that are very similar, if not identical to your trimmer.

1400 Gas Gas Trimmer
1400T Gas Trimmer
1600 Gas Trimmer
1600T Gas Trimmer
1700 Gas Trimmer
1700A Gas Trimmer
1720 Gas Trimmer
1900 Gas Trimmer
YP115 Gas Trimmer
YP116 Gas Trimmer

The starter pawls on the flywheel will sometimes rust and stick.  When this happens the starter pulley will not engage them.  You should be able to easily move the metal starter pawls by hand the spring should snap them back.  If they do not move you can lube them with WD-40.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology