Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/echo chainsaw

Question
QUESTION: MY YOUNGER BROTHER HAS A CHAINSAW HAS HAD IT IT FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS. THE SAW IS AN ECHO CS-305. WE RECENTLY REPLACED THE OLD CARB. WITH A NEW ONE. WE REPLACED ALL THE FUEL LINES, PLUS PRIMER BULB, CHECK VALVE AND GAS FILTER. THE PROBLEM WITH THE SAW IT STARTS AND RUNS THEN AS IF YOU WERE GOING TO SAW DOWN A TREE, TURNING SAW ON ITS SIDE IT KILLS OUT. YOU TURN THE SAW UPRIGHT AND IT STARTS AND DIES OUT. YOU LET IT SIT FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES THEN STARTS AND RUNS GOOD TILL YOU TILT THE SAW SIDEWAYS AND AGAIN IT DIES OUT. THE GAS TANK IS FULL NEW SPARK PLUG, AND ABOUT 90 LBS. OF COMPRESSION. WE CANNOT FIGURE THIS ONE OUT. SO WE ARE TURNING TO YOU MR. JONES FOR EXPERT ADVICE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, WE APPRECIATE IT.

ANSWER: Was there a weighted fuel filter in the fuel tank connected to the fuel line?  Almost all saws fuel filters are weighted to they always fall down in the take to reach the fuel.

Did you have to adjust the new carburetor?

Eric

QUESTION: THE FUEL FILTER IS HEAVY , AND YES I DID HAVE TO ADJUST THE NEW CARBURETOR IT WILL IDLE FOR A FEW MINUTES THEN DIES OUT. I WONDER IF ALL THE FUEL LINES ARE CORRECTLY INSTALLED. IS THERE A SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM ON FUEL LINE ROUTING ON THIS ECHO CS-305? OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE THAT I AM UNAWARE OF.

Answer
Does the saw have a primer?  If so, does it work?

If the primer is working most likely the fuel lines are properly connect.

Did you use a compression gauge to check the compression?

90 PSI is borderline on the low side...any lower and the saw will probably not idle and will not have any power.  It can also run erratically like you described.

Did you check the compression when the engine was hot and with the throttle wide open?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones