Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Hds 2135 cub cadet

How do I get to the coil and what do I need to take off to get to it I have no spark

You have to remove the top plastic/metal engine cover to access the ignition module.

You can perform a similar test without removing any parts if you know what to look for.  The best way to check the ignition module is to start by isolating it from the rest of the mower wiring harness;  this will tell you if you have a safety switch or ignition module problem.

On the engine, you will find a few wires.  Some will be for the charging system and carburetor fuel shut-off solenoid.  There is usually a single wire for the engine ignition module shut-off circuit.  This wire and or connector is usually a push-on spade terminal or a single nut holding the wire on to a terminal.  If you dis-connect this wire it isolates the rest of the wire harness from the mower.  Check for spark with this wire dis-connected.  If you have spark with this wire dis-connected then you know your ignition module is functioning properly and you have a safety switch problem.

I have done this on many mowers and it saves a lot of time as not parts have to be removed to determine if the ignition module is working properly.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology