Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Installing a new pull rope for a push lawnmower

Hi Eric,

Though I am quite mechanical growing up and still running a small farm on the dise from my main background in electrical design, etc. but this one has baffolded me.
This was a second push lawnmower we had and ran very well until one day the rope broke off on the inside (lawnmower framework/engine still looked new after several years as we always washed down afterwards - anyhow). I tried installing several times a new pull cord and it never would work right - meaning it would pull out though attached and never recoil. Recoil spring OK. I finally pushed the darn thing in a shed - well lubbed and though checked on it's  engine not lock up by spinning blade - still after 2 years that part OK. I need to either get this fixed or take it to the bone yard. Like said always started on 1-2 pulls and cut well.  Mywife called 2-3 repair shops and they want starting $30.00 just to look at the unit - like an office call at a doctors place and then add labor and parts cost. I told her to tell them to take ahike. An office charge and no work done yet - bull.
What I am looking for is a maint manual for this Briggs and Stratton 5.75HP/22" cut (have only a model for the lm 11A-508P352 and no separate tag for the engine.
Can you help?
Thanks - John

The model number is the mower model number, made by MTD.  From the parts diagram they offered 2 engines, both Briggs.

Google "briggs and stratton model number location" or copy / paste the URL below to locate the engine model, type and code number.

Send me the model number so I can look up your engine information.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology