Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere LX 173 Tractor

As recent as a week ago I was mowing the lawn with my 1997 John Deere LX 173 tractor. Never had any issues with the tractor except last week. After shutting down the tractor for a lunch break, I tried to restart it but to no avail. I replace the spark plug first, then the gas filter, then the Air Filter than the gas cap per the owner's manual. The tractor cranks with no issues and runs for 30-40 seconds then shuts down. Any recommendations?? Thanks in advance.

It could be a bad fuel pump or a dirty carburetor...these are the most common symptoms based on your description.

What engine is on the mower?  A Briggs and Stratton or Kawasaki?

You can remove the spark plug and then remove the fuel line from the carburetor to check the fuel pump.  With the fuel line dis-connected and spark plug removed, just crank the engine and see if fuel flows/squirts out of the fuel line.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology