Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/john deere z225 ignition problem

I have a John deer z225, 18.5 HP Briggs engine. I've had no issues this season until now. Using it the other day, I cut about 1/2 of our 2 acre yard. Everything was fine. I shut it off to move something, now it won't start. PTO is off, parking brake is on, steering arms are open. Thinking it was the starter motor, I removed the motor cover. When you turn the key, the starter motor "clicks" & the gear engages the flywheel gear then stops dead, & just hums. I replaced the starter to try it, it does the same thing.

Thanks in advance,

Did you have the battery load tested at you local auto parts store to see if the battery is bad?

Did you dis-connect the battery cables and clean the battery terminals and cable ends with a wirebrush?  I have fixed a lot of starting and charging problems just by dis-connecting and cleaning the connections.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology