Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Peerless 206-545C transaxle brake problem.

Question
I have a Peerless 206-545C transaxle in my Craftsman riding mower, I now have no brakes. The shaft for the brake rotor is leaking oil which obviously means the pads aren't doing much good!
It looks like the only way to stop the leak is by disassembling the transmission. Is there anything I can do from the outside? At 82 years of age removing the transaxle seems like an insurmountable task and I can't afford to pay to have it done.
Anything you can offer, including sympathy?

Answer
The lubricant inside the transaxle is really thick...it should not leak.  DO NOT put gear oil in the transaxle...it uses more of a grease for lubricant rather than oil.

You can, from the outside, remove the brake assembly, replace the brake pucks if they are oil soaked, clean the dowel pins and dowel pin holes so they move freely without sticking, and then re-install and adjust.

Are you sure transaxle lubricant leakage is the problem or are the dowel pins just dirty/rusty causing the brakes not to work?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones