Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Starting problems on Scag Tiger Cat

QUESTION: Engine will start twenty times in a row.  Next attempt to start will just be a single click.  It may do this ten to twenty times (clicking) and then start. It will start twenty times in a row again and then the clicking again.
Is this a bad Solenoid or starter?
Thanks in advance for your help.  It is much appreciated.

ANSWER: Either part could be bad.

What engine is on the mower?

Is there a separate solenoid or is it integrated with the starter?

QUESTION: Kohler 27 HP.
Solenoid is integrated into starter.
Checked solenoid - it is okay.  (Connected battery directly to post on solenoid.  Engine started.)
Clicking sound is coming from electronic module that is integrated into ignition system. Now thinking problem is in module.

It could be the module but before you go replacing a lot of electrical parts you need to make sure to disconnect the battery cables and clean the battery cable ends and the battery cable ends with a wirebrush.  I have fixed a lot of starting problems just by cleaning connections.

Do you have a multimeter to measure DC voltage?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology