Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/B&S 80232 no spark

Hi Eric, I inherited this engine/water pump. It has had very little use, was used to pump water for a deep rock drilling rig. and has sat for many years. I do not think I am getting a spark with new plug A7N. I removed the cover, cleaned it up as best I could, still no spark visible across grounded plug gap. Next steps please.

Also, I have a number of 4 stroke engines including lawn mowers, tiller, riding mower, generator and power washer. Can I use the same straight 30 W oil in all of them Summer use only.

Thank you

Oil is the same SAE-30 as long as the temperature is above 60 degrees F.

As for spark, if the first 2 digits of the code number is greater than 81 (82xxxxx) and up then you have electronic ignition.

Just remove the engine starter cover to access the ignition module.  Dis-connect the small wire connected to the module and see if you have spark.  If so, the module is good...if not it is bad.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology