Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Craftsman lawn tractor with a B&S I/C gold 1405 OHV

Question
QUESTION: When turning the key to start all that happens is that the solenoid clicks. We replaced the solenoid with no change in results.  Used a battery charger overnight to ensure full power.

ANSWER: Did you dis-connect and clean the battery terminals and battery posts with a wirebrush?

I have fixed a lot of clicking just by dis-connecting the cables and cleaning the posts and cable ends.

If you remove the spark plug will the starter spin the engine?

What is the Craftsman model number?  The Craftsman model number is located on a sticker, about the size of a business card, usually under the rear seat or fenders.

Eric

QUESTION: Thank you for your QUICK response! The Craftsman model is 917270531.  Battery terminals are clean and tight.  The starter is not turning, it is not even trying to turn, I don't think it is getting any power.

Answer
You have 4 total connections on your starter solenoid; 2 big wires that start at the battery and go to the starter.  2 small wires, one is ground and the other is the connection/pin that receives 12 volts DC when turn the key to start the mower.

With all safety switches in the start position (sitting on seat, blades off, neutral, clutch pushed in) do you have 12 volts DC on one of the small wire connections on the solenoid?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones