Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/moving water with B&S 80232 / Burks GWT5A

Ralph wrote at 2015-08-17 14:51:02
earth air pressure is 14.7 psi pds per squ inch. given the weight of water, one psi can theoretically lift water about two feet. so a pure vacuum can lift water about =/- 29 feet. the pump has to produce a vacuum to suck water up, so to speak. lift height depends on the vacuum the pump can develop.some new pumps can lift water 25 ++ feet.

how far a pump can push water depends on the outgoing psi it can develop. that psessure depends on flow rate. When flow rate gets too low, very high pressure for pump, the pump stalls and loses all out put pressure. suction lift,  vacuum, is also part of thr total pressure the pump must develop, and directly affects pump output. Much, much better for you to put pump as close to water as possible, so it wont have to run so long ,vacuum, to draw water up. also vacuum side must be completely air tight or it won,t vacuum at all, pressure side can leak. 25' PUSH ,pump at water, requiring 12.5 psi output is doable and should flow really well. but you cannot add large pressure to that for sprinkler pressue. 30psi pressure sprinkler is 42.5 psi total pressure: very iffy for flow but try if you need to. 20psi sprinkler is is 32.5 psi total (plus whatever vacuum it does need to suck water. that is very likely doable. There are sprinkler heads that operat well at that pressure. look at cheap plastic impulse heads or geared heads.

flow depends on pump, horsepower, and wear.You must install a check valve on the suction side if you suck 25 feet. if you get the pump within one or two feet of water you may avoid that, but I strongly recommend anyway. maybe $10  at Lowes/HD. and wear. you can see flow rates, lifts, pressures on new pump boxes at HD or Lowes. Be sure you size your wiring adequately for your pump amps, or you will burn it up. be specially careful if you are running at 110-120 volts. try the pump, but it is much better to locate it as close water as possible.

Ralph  

ralph wrote at 2015-08-17 14:54:50
this is a test. I added to the answer earlier at length, but it doesn,t seem there

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones