Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/FD620D engine replacement w/FD750D

Question
I have a Cub cadet 3208 with a FD620D Kawasaki engine in it.  I would like to replace it but KW doesn't make it any more, they tell me the only way to fit it is to rebuild it.  Have read that some people state it isn't rebuildable and spend thousands finding this out so would like to replace it instead of rebuilding.  I found the FD750D will fit in the mower, bolts, shaft etc. match up but I have an vacuum operated PTO that needs another vacuum connection on the intake manifold to operate.  In talking to KW they can't tell me if it comes with this connection.  If it doesn't can I add one?  I have checked out the elec connections and the other difference is the FD620D uses an igniter and the FD750D doesn't but in tracing down the wiring diagram it looks like the keyed connection wiring is the same flow except will have to change a couple of wires for/to igniter to FD750 coil and grd through A switch terminal.  My engine number is FD620D-BS21.  The engine I am looking at purchasing is the FD750D-SO2.  Can you help me with the PTO vacuum connection.  Is it possible to add one?

Answer
Does the replacement engine you are looking at come with a vacuum port?  If so, can you install a t fitting to connect another vacuum line?

You could drill a hole in the replacement engine in a similar location as at the original engine.

Next time you are at Sears or a hardware store, take a look at the Briggs or Kohler engine mowers that have a vacuum operated fuel pump to see where those engine have their vacuum ports.

As for the electrical, that should be pretty easy.  Make sure you read the wiring diagram carefully as most igniters, or any ignition component, rarely has any power connected to them.  DO NOT ruin your igniter by connecting 12 VDC to it!

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones