Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda GXV670 Starting Problem

QUESTION: Hi, Eric,  I have a Hustler Super Z with the Honda GXV670 25hp engine.  When I try to start it I hear a click. After turning the switch to start multiple times, sometimes it will engage and start.  This has happened at least two other times in the 10 - 11 years I have had the mower.  I've taken it to the shop, they fix it, but soon it will fail again.  One time they replaced the coils, the next they replaced the starter.  This time I have been trying to fix it myself.  I replaced the battery, the positive battery cable, the starter/solenoid and the ignition switch.   
I've "tested" the engine stop diode and the coils. ("tested" means I'm a rookie with a multimeter).
At this point, if I understand the system, the only things left to replace would be the engine stop diode, the coils and the rectifier.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Doubt the rectifier is the issue.  The engine stop diode might be the issue but when I have had these fail they fail open...easy to check with a multimeter.

Did you make sure, when you had the battery dis-connected, to clean the battery cable ends and battery terminal posts with a wirebrush?  Just because they look clean does not mean they are making a good connection.

If you use a different battery, or a set of battery cables and another battery to boost the power, will the mower start?

QUESTION: I'll double check and clean the battery terminals tomorrow.  I had my battery charger hooked up and used it's Strat Boost feature, but it didn't start.  After sending the question to you, having had the battery on the charger for several hours, I tried to start it and the starter engaged and tried to turn the engine over.  I held it on start for several seconds and the starter was very strong.  I turned the key off and immediately tried to start it again and I was back to the clicking.

Many times the clicking sound is caused by poor connections or a weak battery...I've spent hours troubleshooting electrical issues.  I have had to run additional wires, in parallel, to supply enough current to energize solenoids.  Manufacturers often use the smallest diameter wires which tends to not carry as much current, especially as machines age, for the starting system to properly function; not just on mowers but motorcycles too.

Have you had the battery load tested at you local auto parts store?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology