Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda HS55 Snowblower

QUESTION: We have a Honda HS55 snowblower.  It has been a workhorse for us for years and years.  Has always started on the first pull.  We tried to start it today and it fires, but won't start.  We have changed the spark plug twice.  My husband is very knowledgable about small engines and has tried every thing he can think of to get it going.  Any idea what we might be missing.  He just told me when he pulls the plug out it seems wet.  He is thinking it's an electrical issue (but where?).  When he sprays starter fluid into the carborator, it doesn't run.  You thought oils be greatly appreciated .

ANSWER: Have you verified spark is present at the spark plug when you try and start the snowblower?

QUESTION: Yes.  We have spark.

How old is the gas?  I would get some brand new gas and try priming the engine with the new gas to see if it will start.

I have seen intake valves stick on those engines.  Has your husband performed an engine compression check with a compression gauge?

He can also remove the valve cover and visually check to see if the valve are properly functioning.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology