Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere LX277 PTO issue

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I have an issue with my PTO engaging.  So far I have removed the deck, measured the voltage coming out of the switch on one side of the connector when disconnected (12.4V) and measured the PTO at 3.4 ohms.  When the tractor is started and I engage the switch I can hear a clicking noise like it is trying to engage but it doesn't.  

Any ideas on what to try next??

Thanks

ANSWER: Having you made sure to dis-connect the battery and clean the battery terminals can battery cable ends with a wirebrush?  I have fixed a lot of weird electrical problems just by cleaning the connections.

Can you turn the blades by hand...basically must make sure all of the deck parts are properly functioning.

Eric

QUESTION: The mower runs and starts fine.  As of right now the deck is off and when I try to engage the PTO it just clicks while the mower is running.  What is the best way to check if the PTO is bad??

Thanks

Answer
Do you know what brand of clutch is on the mower?  The part number is John Deere Electric Clutch - AM126100 but I can find the manufacturer of the clutch.

Using a multimeter (ohms setting), verify clutch coil resistance between the two terminals of the clutch wire connector. Coil resistance should be 1.75 to 1.93 ohms.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones