Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/sears ride mower 536.270280

QUESTION: its maybe 10 yrs old. talked to you before. engine leaked oil, removed seal, reinstalled. cranked fine, drove a little , brake really hot. could not adjust, removed brake, don't ever use. all safety switches are intact, including the one on brake pedal, which i push to start. I have checked and checked this via Sears wiring diagram. get no spark, no crank. I just removed brake parts, no switches involved. what in the world? And can i disable all safety switches by leaving some places open circuit and some wiring closed circuit?

Help, and thank you so much, you certainly share your time and Knowledge

ANSWER: Does the starter spin the engine when you turn the key switch to the start position?

If not, check the orange wire on the solenoid.  It should have 12 volts DC on the wire when the key switch is in the start position...ONLY the start position.

If there is no voltage the starter will not turn.

As for bypassing every thing you can just connect the yellow wire connected to the engine to the ignition switch G terminal.

Thaxs. I misled with question. I said no crank, when I meant no startup. Engine spins fine with starter. There appears to be a small black wire up side of engine into top of shroud. Is that maybe the short-out for the mag? Can I just cut that? I would have to wire a small switch into it to stop engine? Any idea other than cutting wire? i do have a volt meter. Could something have happened coincidentally to brake removal?

PS I am trying to add to the answer you gave about the well pump. I may be having trouble getting it up. Will look to see tomorrow. If it's up, you might like to read. I do know wells, water pressures, etc.

Thaxs greatly again. Our last Q&a on lawn mower was end of March or April. It is up on your column.

You are correct about the small, single black is the ground that shorts the spark from the ignition module to ground when you turn the key off.

If you dis-connect the wire you should have spark.  If you do not have spark with the wire dis-connected it could be a bad module.  To make sure you can dis-connect the wire from the module and check for spark.  If there is no spark with the wire dis-connected then the module is bad.  If the engine is really old, pre-1981, it could/should have points and they could be bad or need filing.

Regarding the pump, are you trying to push or pull the water?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology