Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Briggs and Stratton sump pan

I'm trying to replace my something gasket my Briggs & Stratton 22 hp els656.
I got the motor off turned upside down sitting on a milk crate I remove the sump cleaned off the old gasket and trying to put the new gasket on but the sump pan will not seat all the way on the motor.
I see nothing in the way causing an obstruction I  put some oil on the shaft . It almost seems like the Dowels are not going in the holes.  I watched several YouTube videos and it doesn't seem like anybody else is having this issue .
 Is there a certain technique to get in the pan to seat all the way on ?  It is maybe a quarter inch gap left for it to sit down all the way under the engine .

Is the oil slinger not is the correct position?  If the oil slinger is not exactly where is needs to sit in the sump the sump will not go on.

Often times you can locate the slinger in the correct location and then as you are install the sump you can wiggle it back and fourth a little to get the slinger to position itself in the sump.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology