Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda GX610 no charging

Question
QUESTION: I have a Honda GX610 on a Grasshopper mower with about 500 hrs on the engine.  The engine starts and runs fine but fails to charge the battery.  The battery has been replaced as well as the rectifier/regulator.  I have also failed to find a broken wire.  What do I check next (the strator?) and how do I test it.

Thanks.

ANSWER: Check out this Briggs URL:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/charging-system-alternator-t

It is not your specific application but they work the same.  Don't worry about the DC amps at this point.  I'd start by checking DC volts at the battery with the engine off and with the engine running.

With the engine running you should see an increase in DC volts.

Did you search You Tube?  There are several videos posted.

Let me know if the DC volts increase when the engine is running at full speed.

Eric

QUESTION: DC volts at the battery does not increase with the engine running (full speed).  The voltage actually reads slightly lower, about 1/10 of a volt, I presume due to what the starter drew.

Answer
Yes, the starter will take some of the voltage but you should see the voltage increase within a minute or so indicating the charging system it replacing the voltage.

Does the regulator have a plug that you can either dis-connect or can you access the pins with it connected to check for AC volts in and DC volts out?

How many wires or pins does the regulator have?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones