Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/mower wiring burned up

Question
Hi Eric, I have a Sears riding mower model 917.258513, B & S engine - 14.5 HP - model 287707 type # 0255-01, the wiring burned up under the solenoid that goes under the fuel bowl. And the engine wont start. I ordered the wiring harness and I also ordered the solenoid since the connector was somewhat melted. Do you have any idea why the small harness burned up? Could the solenoid have shorted out and burned up the harness? Or is there something else that may have caused this? Is it hard to replace the solenoid? Do you know if there is a gasket between the solenoid and the fuel bowl?  I would appreciate any help that you can give me.
Bob

Answer
I have not seen a fuel shut-off solenoid short out and cause the wiring harness to burn.

Yes, there is a small washer on top of the solenoid...just look for it as you unscrew the solenoid.

Things you should check...the FUSE...it should have blown before the harness melted.

The battery; I have seen them switch polarity and burn/melt wire harness.

While you are at it I would check the alternator / rectifier output.  Never seen them melt the harness but have found several diodes that have melted.

Google Briggs and Stratton charging system check or Briggs and Stratton alternator and you should find several PDF files on checking the electrical system.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones