Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Roller chain

Mr. Jones not sure if you can answer this. A friend of mine bought this large 84" snow blower for his tractor new. The chain that drives the augur is 6 feet long and it has a idler sprocket with lots of adjustment for tension on the chain. Well I see there is a half link in the chain with a master link also. Why would they do that? Doesn't that weaken the chain in a way? Does it matter where you should position the half link in the chain?

The half link should be fine as long as you have the plate on the opposite side along with the retaining clip.  I always install the retaining clip with the closed end forward, following the direction of travel.

Why it it there, not sure but it must have been used to adjust the chain.  The chain may have stretched and they took one link out which made it too short so they added the half link.

Have you considered replacing the old chain with a brand new one that isn't stretched?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology