Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/5HP Single Stage Snowblower not throwing snow properly

Question
QUESTION: Hi
I have a 5hp Single stage Yard machines snowblower that is not throwing snow properly. I have checked the rpm's and they are at 4420 What is normal?. I checked the belt and it seems to be fine, I adjusted it and does not spin when the handle is down. It does not have shear pins. I heard about a key on flywheel, this is my friends snowblower and he it hit something hard and stopped stalled.  It is easy to start but does not throw well. How do I check the paddle if it is too worn down? Thanks

ANSWER: Often times the paddles will have wear mark indicators, a hole in the outer edge of the paddles.

I've been told a good rule of thumb is if you can put your fingers between the paddles and the snowblower bucket, when the paddles are closest to the rear of the bucket, that the paddles need to be replaced.

If it starts easy, runs good and has enough power then I doubt the flywheel key is sheared.  

How old is the blower?  How many hours are on the paddles?

Eric

QUESTION: Hi Eric
Thanks for getting back so quick. I just tried the snowblower in about 2 inches of fresh snow and it clogs up and the main pulley attached to engine stops, then if I knock the snow out from the auger it throws snow again the belt is not slipping. Do you think it might be the key. It bogs down under load........Thanks Mike

Answer
The RPM is a little fast.

There are a lot of possibilities that could cause your problem.

Where do you live?  Do you know if the paddles have ever been replaced?  What is the model number?  The model number will be located on a sticker, about the size of a business card and the format will be something like 123-456-789 or similar.

Did the snowblower work well in the past?

Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones