Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Adapting Crankshaft pulley to larger shaft

I have an Ariens 926LE Snowblower(Model LH318SA Spec.156582H) that blew an engine. I have a spare Tecumseh HMSK100-159310u engine which I would like to use. I have heard that a crankshaft sleeve can be used to adapt, to use pulleys. Do you know if I can do this with these engines. The HMSK100 is smaller in diameter and length. What size of sleeve would I need to make this work? Thanks

ANSWER: I have seen sleeves as long as you are going to a smaller diameter crankshaft.

The HMSK should bolt to the frame.

How much shorter is the HMSK shaft?  This will be the critical item you need to check.

Have you removed the old engine and sat the HMSK on the frame verify the bolt pattern and checked to see if the shaft is long enough?

The HMSK bolts on,I am having a hard time getting the rusted pulley off the Crankshaft on HMSK.I have seen soaking it for 3 days with penetrating oil...Do you have any tricks? The HMSK little less than 3/4" in diameter and about 2 3/4" in length. The Ariens 9hp Tecumseh is about 1" diameter and 3"in length. The HMSK is about 3/4" shorter.........

ANSWER: Heat with a torch...not too much to melt or burn the seal.  Heat will usually help loosen the part.

I use map gas with a decent torch tip, from a welding shop.  A good tip will cost $70-100 but you can control the heat better.

You can get by with a Home Depot or Lowes torch and map gas but most likely you will ruin the seal as these torches send heat everywhere.

I got the pulleys off the HMSK with your tip. The next step is what size of sleeve do I need to purchase for the crankshaft. The measurements that I gave were estimate. Can you give me the exact size that I would need to fit the LH318SA sleeve? I am not good at the exact measurement.  Thanks

Shaft diameters are 1/2, 3/4, 7/8, 1 inch and 25 mm for the most part.

Have you Googled "3/4 inch to 1 inch shaft adapter" or "3/4 inch to 1 inch crankshaft adapter"?

I found several for sale and even some You Tube videos showing how to adapt the shafts.

Lots of options.  You could even buy a different pulley for the engine but it has to be the same diameter as the old on except for the mounting hole.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology