Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/snowblower

Question
QUESTION: craftsman 5.5HP model 88355 with Tecumseh  engine-LH195sp snow blower blows oil out breather hose when on incline only. it maintains oil on level runs. only comes out on inclines. assembly appears to be behind carb what needs to be repaired ? oil not over filled

ANSWER: It is coming out of the breather, behind the carb.

Are you using SAE 5W-30 oil?  The is a possibility the breather is defective but this is pretty rare.  There could also be a seal or o-ring leaking causing the engine not to maintain vacuum...the engine needs to maintain vacuum to keep oil from leaking out...the breather is supposed to let engine crankcase pressure out and a check valve prevents atmospheric pressure (air) from entering back in.

There are drain hole in the breather...but again it is very, very rare they clog.

Check the dipstick o-ring/gasket and make sure it is sealing...this is the most common leak area. Also, you can try changing the oil as this sometimes helps.

How steep of an incline cause the oil to come out?  There is an incline limit but it is pretty steep.

Eric

QUESTION: THANK YOU ERIC-- YES I AM USING 5W-30 OIL CHANGED EVERY YEAR AND THIS WAS FIRST USAGE AND NOT OVERFILLED WHAT SEAL OR O-RING NEEDS TO BE CHECKED DIPSTICK O-RING IS SEALING OIL COMES OUT THE HOSE ON CRANKCASE VENT OR BREATHER STARTS TO COME OUT AT ABOUT 45DEGREES OR BETTER RUNS FINE ON LEVEL GROUND AND MAINTAINS PROPER OIL LEVEL. WHAT IS THE INCLINE LEVEL AND WHEN EXCEEDED IS THIS WHAT OCCURS?

THANK YOU
         JOE

Answer
45 degrees is pretty steep. If I recall old manuals used to state a 30 degree limit but is has been many yeas since I've seen older manuals.

Have you ran the blower on the steep angle before?

There may be an o-ring in the top of the dipstick cap.  

This video shows how to check for crankcase vacuum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKaemaXp6gY

You can also make a manometer out of vinyl tubing and a board.  There are lots of internet pages describing how to make a manometer.

Let me know if the engine maintains a vacuum.
Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones