Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/tecumseh H30 35439Y Carburator question

I have a Tecumseh Tuffy tiller with engine H30 35439Y.  It was left sitting with gas in it with water in it and also gummed up.  I got it running but it will not stay cranked.  I was going to try to order a rebuild kit for the carb when I saw on Amazon a whole new carb to fit an H30 is $15 EXCEPT, the replacement carb does not have the bung for the valve cover breather tube that my current one has.  The one with the breather tube 640133/6400167 is $60 to $85!  Whats the real difference between the carb with and without and do I really need it?

The breather tube will help keep dust from entering the engine oil.

You could put a homemade filter on the end of the tube but it must allow the valve breather to breather fairly free as the engine needs to vent crankcase pressure.

Do you have the Tecumseh 30727 air filter?

If so, could you drill a hole in the metal housing and use a small pipe nipple to extend the breather tube?  You would just have to use some silicone on the metal house to seal around the tube to make sure the seal is tight.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology