Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Briggs and Stratton Carb question

Question
Hello, I have a Briggs & Stratton (Intek 22-hp) 407777-0131-E1, 990603YG with a Nikki carburetor. I bought this engine used. It has backfired through the intake at idle from the day I installed it. I cleaned the carb, replaced jets, cleaned again and again. I have checked and adjusted the valve tolerance several times and nothing helps. I finally bought a new carb based off everything I can find online. Well the kit says some engines require the restriction plate, some dont. I have no idea how to know if mine requires one. I dont have one now, but that doesnt mean anything because Im un-aware of the history and previous owner actions and maintenance. Is there any way you can answer that question for me?

Answer
I have not seen any of those engines with a restriction plate.

Do you any wires that connect to a solenoid on your carburetor?

Is you engine running hot by chance?

Over the years, grass, dirt and other debris can accumulate on the engine cylinder fins, under the flywheel and all over the engine.

If you use engine degreaser to break down the grease/dirt and wash the engine clean with water it might make it run cooler.

The backfire could also be cause by a lean carb mix or intake leak.  Are all the intake gasket in good shape and sealing?

What are your valve adjusted at?
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones