Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Irrigation water pumps.

QUESTION: Dear Jones

Is it possible to design noiseless irrigation water pumps running on Electric or Gasoline?.

ANSWER: Almost impossible to make a noiseless gasoline engine water pump...gasoline engines are noisy.

Electric would be much quieter but depending on how much water you need to pump you may need a very large electric motor.

Either way, the water pump will make some noise.

About the only way to make a noiseless irrigation is to submerse a pump motor in a ground well this way the pump and motor are underground.

Can Sound proof Glass enclosure covering the Irrigation water pump help in this regard?.

It could help keep it quiet but you have to be sure the enclosure does not cause over-heating issues.  I once burned out an electric motor in a similar sound proof enclosure.  It took a few days for the motor to overheat and fail but it eventually did...I assume the lack of air flow was the primary reason the motor failed.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology