Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere STX38 fuel line replacement from Tank to carb

I a own a John Deere STX38.  I bought it used 13 years ago and it still runs like a top today.  However, the fuel line coming out of the tank is cracking and leaking fuel.  My question is do I need to remove the steering wheel in order to remove the dash panel that sits in front of the tank in order to be able to get to the tank outlet and remove the old fuel line?

Thank you in advance

Gus Gonzalez

It has been a while since I worked on a STX38.

Can you use a flashlight and see the fuel line where it connects to the fuel tank?

Make sure you do NOT pull on the fuel do not want to break or damage the fuel tank.

Use a razor knife to and GENTLY make a cut in-line with the fuel line so you can easily remove it with pulling on the fuel line.

Let me know if you can see the end of the fuel line.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology