Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/6.5 Intek simply will not start...no matter what

Question
QUESTION: Hi Eric.  I have a Scotts mower with the 6.5 BS Intek OHV engine.  The engine died while mowing and never started again. Fuel and spark were fine.  I even tried a little starting fluid directly into the intake and would get an occasional backfire through the carb...very occasional.  I then checked valve clearance...near perfect.  In my little brain, with the back fire i thought there must be a valve problem so i removed the head...everything is just fine and the valve seats look great.  I'm scratching my head on this one...could the timing have jumped or slipped?  I haven't torn down that far and I'm not sure what the mechanism is anyway or what i would be looking for.  Is that even a possibility, because I am at a loss.

ANSWER: How is the flywheel key and the blade adapter?

The best way to check the timing is to check for valve overlap at top-dead-center.  This can be difficult to do on OHV engines but it can be done.

The head must be on to check for overlap.  I use a drinking straw inserted in the spark plug hole to follow the piston and down.  As the piston reaches one of it's top-dead-center you should be able to feel some valve overlap where both valves are just slightly open...aka, the push rods will have tension on them as the valves are just slightly open.

I'd recommend checking You Tube for videos on valve overlap as the video will clarify how to check it.

Eric

QUESTION: Are you saying that there SHOULD be overlap at TDC?  Wouldn't that negate the compression stroke?
When I was checking my valve clearance the was NO overlap at TDC.  Both rods had some play at TDC.

Answer
Valve overlap will negate the compression stroke, a little.  

Did you check Wikipedia for 4 cycle engine valve overlap?

There is some good information on the subject.

If there is no overlap then the mechanical timing is off.  In the older L-head engines it was easy to feel both valves just barely open, you could rotate them by hand as they were not fully seated.

OHVs are much more difficult to tell.  You may have to check 1/4 inch, approximately 6 mm, before and after TDC to feel it.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones