Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Charging Issue With John Deere LX255

Bob wrote at 2016-04-06 15:25:00
Eric, thanks for the quick reply. I'm following up on your suggestions, with one modification. I reconnected the Battery Tender about sundown yesterday, then rechecked it at 9:30 this morning. Note that all the following information is with BOTH battery cables still connected.

(1) Multimeter showed 12.9 volts from (a) positive battery terminal to negative battery terminal, (b) from positive cable end connected to the battery to negative cable end connected to the battery, (c) from positive cable end connected to the battery to negative cable end where it is connected and grounded to the mower, (d) from positive cable end where it connects to the starter to negative cable end where it connects to the battery, and (e) from positive cable end where it connects to the the starter to negative cable end where it is connected and grounded to the mower.

In other words, with what appears to be a fully charged battery to start with, in every possible combination of points where current flows, beginning at the battery and extending to the cable ends connected to the starter and mower chassis, the multimeter shows the same 12.9-volt reading. And the connections "appear" to be clean, so I suspect at this point that the cables nor connections are the source of the problem.

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate your feedback and will continue to follow your instructions re: disconnecting the negative cable and metering the voltage in series, and also checking the voltage with the engine running at full speed.

Before doing that, however, since I know the battery was fully charged at 9:30 a.m., I'm going to give the mower several hours (maybe the rest of the day) without trying to crank it at all, and then re-check the battery to see if there's been any loss of voltage (which I guess would also indicate a short and/or drain somewhere).

I will get back to you once I've completed that step, and then cranked and tested the voltage while the engine is running at full speed.

Thanks again for your help. This is a great service.

Also, am I supposed to rate you every time you respond, or do I wait until we conclude this thread? Either way is OK with me -- just wanted to make sure I knew which way I'm supposed to do it.  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology