Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/hydrostat

Question
QUESTION: I have aquired a TroyBilt 13035 riding lawn mower.  Used it for the first time.  Couple of issues:
1.  Blades don't seem to spin fast enough.  Belt looks narrow, could it be belt slippage?  Spindles seem fine.
2.  Most concerning is hydrostat leaks some and also has trouble pulling up a hill.  After mowing for a while it would almost stall out trying to go up a incline and had to backup.  Manual says 20w oil.  We filled reservoir before we started.  Any ideas?

ANSWER: Pulleys will wear as well as belts.  If they are turning, and not slipping when cutting grass, you are probably alright.  Does the belt have a part number on it?  Someone could have changed the engine pulley with a different diameter which could alter the blade speed.

Is there a manufacturer brand name and a model number on the hydro unit?  Hydrogear supplies a lot of transmissions for many mower brands.

If it is leaking, is it a seal?  We see a lot of hydrostat transmissions fail just as you described.

MTD makes Troybilt.  Check You Tube for "hydrostatic mower transmission".  There are lots of videos on the subject.

Eric

QUESTION: The belt looks narrow, likely worn.  Not sure I want to spend the money on a belt if the hydro is shot.
The hydro is a Eaton 650.  Any tips or tricks to try on it?  Some other type of fluid to put in it besides 20w?  Could that belt be slipping or not since I said it would almost stall the engine?  Thanks for any info you can give.  May just have to let the kids ride it around:)

Answer
No tips on these hydros.  Since it is so expensive to repair them, due to high labor costs, most customers choose just to buy a new mower by the time they bring their broke mowers to the shop...we basically do no repairs...just replace those transaxles if they are bad and the customer is willing to pay for the replacement.

Did you Google Eaton 650?
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones