Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/ryobi weedwacker

QUESTION: I have two two strokes that will only start if I squirt gas into the carb with an oil can full of gas.  They run for two or three seconds and quit even if i squirt more gas in.  I'm wondering if the ignition could be cutting out after a few seconds in addition to a fuel problem?

ANSWER: It could be ignition.  Did you replace the spark plug?

Does you fuel have oil mixed with the gas?

What you are doing is commonly referred to as priming.  This is a very good technique for checking the condition of the machine.

Since it runs when being primed I would suspect more of a fuel related issue.  However, you should be able to keep it running by priming, with oil/gas mix.

How hold is the trimmer?  What model do you have?

QUESTION: model 280000 and 281000 I don't know how old

I am not able to find much on the model numbers.  Did you Google the model number to see if you can find any information?

Before putting much money into the trimmers, I would perform a compression test.  The engine must have at least 90 PSI to run well.  If the engine compression is less than 90 PSI then they will never run right...learned this the hard way.

Do you have a compression tester?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology