Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Snapper engine won't turn over

Question
Eric, my man!

It works! Took shroud off engine, flywheel wouldn't budge by hand. Tried several times, no luck. Was about to give up, decided to try one more time, it broke free. Turns both directions. Re-assembled, hooked up battery, cranked right up!
But this is HUGE. Won't take up your time with the whys, but I really appreciate it. Wanna take a stab at why it may have been stuck since nothing obvious? I didn't see anything impeding movement, no parts jumped up in the air as I was turning it.

Father-n-law bought this thing for $50 several years ago. Sure has got his $'s worth.

Thanks so much Eric. You're the best.
Don

Answer
Glad to hear it is running...but I've seen this before.

Most likely something inside the engine, either the connecting rod or maybe the upper main crankshaft bushing may have seized slightly.

I would run it till it quits making sure to keep oil in the engine to prevent the seize from happening again as long as possible.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones