Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/SNOWBLOWER LUBE

Question
QUESTION: CRAFTSMAN 5.5HP TECUMSETH ENGINE .2006YR. WELL MAINTAINED. THE ONLY THING NOT DONE IS LUBRICATE AUGER GEAR CASE THAT WAS SEALED AT FACTORY MANUAL STATES IF DISASSEMBLED FOR ANY REASON USE 737-0168 GREESE. NEVER NEEDED TO BUT CONCERNED AFTER 10 YEARS IT MAY REQUIRE .IT HAS A SMALL VENT PLUG ON TOP OF CASING CAN I SQEEZE GREESE IN WITHOUT DISASSBLING PLEASE ADVISE

ANSWER: You have to dis-assemble to grease.  The grease inside the gear case is similar to general purpose grease, not the SAE 85-90 gear oil that was used in the 60s-80s.  The grease is so thick that it is very difficult for it to leak out.

Eric

QUESTION: DO YOU RECOMMEND DOING IT?  DISASSEMBLING? IF SO   WHAT IS EASYIST WAY TO DO? DISASSEMBLING FROM SHAFT WORM WITH
IMPELLER OR CAN IT BE DONE REMOVING AXLE AUGER/  AND DISASSEMBLING STILL CONNECTED TO SHAFT WORM. WHY WAS NO GREESE FITTING APPLIED TO CASING? IS GREESE SUPPOSED TO LAST ? THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Answer
It never hurts to change the grease...but...it takes a lot of labor/time.

You have to remove the bucket, the impeller, augers and then you can split the gear box cases.

Also, they have to be pretty clean when you re-assemble as you have to use RTV sealer to seal the cased back together.

As for why there is not grease zerk, there may be several reasons but I don't not for sure:
1) Disposable society...repair/maintenance costs continue to increase...cheaper to buy a new one
2) Cheaper to make...costs money to stock parts...just make, sell, make a new one sell a new one
3) People no longer know how to maintain equipment so design products to be maintenance free...they just won't last as long.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones