Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Troy Bilt Garden Tractor pops when drive pedal pushed

I have a Troy Bilt Big Red Horse Garden Tractor model number 14AA80TP766 249879
serial number 1C277H30119 DOM 3/2007
When you push the drive pedal you can hear and sometimes feel a popping noise coming from beneath the tractor. The tractor does not move as fast as it did before the popping started. If the pedal is pushed all the way down, the belt will start smoking and you can smell rubber burning. I've replaced the belt and idler pulley and still same thing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Did you replace both belts?

Did you replace the variable speed pulley?  I have had these wear and cause issues.

Did you dis-assemble and clean the brake assembly parts?  I have had the 2 dowel pins stick and cause issues as well.

Start with the parts necessary but you will have to remove, clean, re-assemble and adjust the brake...just read your Owner's Manual.

Next, make sure both belts are in good condition.  I have has issues when just replacing one belt and not the other at the same time.

Issue still there then replace the variable speed pulley...costs about $45.00...much cheaper than they used to be at over $80.00 years ago.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology