Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/echo

Our Echo CS301 chainsaw stalls out after a few seconds of idling. Just wondering what is the likely cause. Here's what led up to it: Used it often, no problems, the chain was always a bit looser than you see in the photo. Then it got stuck while working on a tree branch, brought it in, the guy said the chain was partially broken, he replaced it with new chain last week (see attached photo). He fit it much tighter than I've been used to. So the past few days I've been using it, cuts nicely but then stalls out after idling. We've been using the proper gas/chain oil mixture. Please let me know if you have any insight. Thanks.

Try adjusting the low speed carb needle out.

I have an older Echo string trimmer.  Over the last 5 or 6 years it has started doing the same thing.  I have rebuilt the carb, pressure and vacuum checked the crankcase but it still acts up once in a while...won't idle...just slightly adjust low speed needle and it idles great again.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology