Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/engine trouble

I have a 14 HP yard machine that is having trouble.  I start it, and it runs good for about 2 minutes, and then white smoke starts rolling  out and it dies.  I wait a minute or so, and it starts up again and (choking it) it does the same thing after about 1 minute. I have a rather steep back yard. Yesterday I had to start and restart it five times to get it up the hill to my garage- where it is still sitting.  Any ideas would be appreciated.. Thanks  Richard

Do you have a Briggs and Stratton engine?

What oil are you using?

White smoke usually indicates the engine is burning oil.  Does the engine consume much oil?  Do you have to add oil frequently to the engine?

Recommend you Google "checking small engine crankcase vacuum" and watch a couple of the videos.

Let me know about the engine and oil.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology