Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Engine won't start

Question
Carb Linkage
Carb Linkage  
Hey Eric,
Iím back. Well, my father-n-lawís Snapper will crank fine, but wonít start. When I got the flywheel to turn last week, I installed the new battery and just made sure it cranked; I didnít start it. Hey, it was late, Iíd been cutting/trimming his yard and daughterís yard most of the day; I figured if it cranked it would start, since it started OK before all this happened.

Strong cranking amps, sounds like it will almost start but just want hit that combustion point. I pulled off the fuel line; is clear, I looked thru it and blew it, and also ran coat hanger thru it and no debris came out. Fuel filter is brand new, oil level good, gasoline is about 2 weeks old. Key is turned to On position. When I press the ignition button it cranks right up; no noises, no slow cranking, or whirring sounds. Oh, and I did shoot some starter fluid in spark plug hole. Just occurred to me, I donít know how old his starter fluid is. But itís the same can I used 2-3 weeks ago when engine did start. I know the fluid is at least a year old because I used it last summer.

I removed the screw in the carburetor bowl, thinking the jets might be clogged plus was going to clean out the bowl, but there are no holes in the screw to clean out and the bowl did not come off. I thought it just dropped down but it didn't.

After all that, I noticed the attached part laying under the carburetor. Maybe it came off when I replaced the breather tube but I don't remember it doing so. Could this part be the reason the engine wonít start; And how does the part attach?
and I dropped the carburetor screw before I could see how the tiny washer and the spring go on. Does the washer go on top or below the spring?

Snapper model 3311x5s

B/S:  253707-0159 11hp

Thanks, Eric

Answer
It is the choke shaft link/arm.  The Z bend end connects to the hole in the choke shaft bracket.  The other end of the lever fits into a slot on the throttle lever assembly, where the throttle cable is connected.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/images/briggs_28B702/_links_close.JPG

If you Goolge briggs and stratton 8 hp choke linkage and search for images you will find several pictures.

On some older engines the lever was pulled by a part in the throttle assembly but the newer ones used a push setup.  Just move the throttle to the choke position and you should see the mechanism in the throttle assembly part where the throttle cable it connected.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones