Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda hrx lawnmower

Question
Honda hrx lawnmower. 11 years old. . Last year needed new carberator.  Started using ethanol free gas .  One year later it started blowing out blue smoke out exhaust. Oil level good. It is lunging...speeds up and slows down on its own.  
When I turned it off it backfired and shot fire out the exhaust.  Tried to crank it, 3 pulls, and crank rope broke.  What do you think is going on?, and is it worth fixing or should I just buy a new one?   And what is your opinion of ethanol free gas....my last repair shop reccomended it. (Which I've been using).
Thanks for your thoughts!!
Brian

Answer
My nephew recently had the same issues...replaced the carb, then the string broke, needed a new starter.

He ended up just getting a new mower.

Before replacing the mower, the surging does sound like a dirty carburetor.  However, you may need to to check the valves as well.

Some of those late model Honda GC series engine starters are pretty inexpensive, less then $30 delivered to your door.  But...if you have to replace the starter and carb again you may loose money in the long run if it does not run.

Did you check You Tube for videos on checking Honda lawnmower engine valves?

Forgot about the ethanol free fuel...the jury is still out.  I have a test engine I have been using with ethanol fuel.  No problems so far but I really want to let it sit over the winter to see if it will start next spring.  I will say that the ethanol is very bad for small engine carburetor parts.  The ethanol ruins the inlet needles/seat, gaskets and floats.  I would use the ethanol fuel for long term storage, more than 2 months.  If you use a lot of fuel I'd just use pump gas with fuel stabilizer.  I use stabilizer in all my mower fuel and use it in my motorcycle during the winter when it sits.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones