Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere LT155

Question
Hello and thank you for taking my question. I have an older John Deere LT155 lawn tractor. I bought it used about 6 years ago. The last couple of years it has started having problems starting period I have replaced the battery. When I go to start it I have to put carburetor cleaner in the carburetor. That usually helps to get it started. Today when I went to start it, it would not turn over very well like it wasn't getting fired. I unfortunately pushed my luck and heard a loud pop and a little puff of smoke. I took out the spark plug and sure enough it was burned. I took the spark plug and the fuel filter down to AutoZone and got another one. I came back and install the fuel filter the correct direction and then put the spark plug back in. I tried to turn it over and it wouldn't start. It's trying but it just would not take over. I put carburetor cleaner in the carburetor and it fired up but then it stalled again. It almost acts like it's not getting fuel to the engine. I looked at the fuel hoses and the short 3-inch one from the fuel filter to where it connects to the engine looks frayed where it attaches to the filter. Could that be frayed enough that it's not pulling fuel to the engine? Another issue that it's been having is after I've ran in a while the oil is low. It is not smoking and there is no leak. I've parked it in the garage and I have found no oil on the garage floor. I hope you can help me. Thank you for your time. PS. I am a widowed woman doing this on my own so please use layman terms. Thank you.

Answer
Based on the symptoms you described I'd suspect the carburetor needs cleaning.

There are lots of You Tube videos on cleaning riding lawn mower carburetors.  Most of the time all you need is basic hand tools.  An air compressor is very hand but you can get by with a can of carburetor cleaner.

Before removing the carburetor take pictures of all the connecting linkages...this will make installing the carburetor much easier.

As for the oil, are you using SAE-30 weight oil?

What engine is on the mower?  A Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki, Kohler?  What is the engine model, type and code/serial number?

Let me know.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones