Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Riding mower w/B&S won't shut off w/key

Question
QUESTION: When I turn the key switch off the engine keeps running. I replaced the ignition switch and I checked the wire going from the ignition switch to the coil and I don't see any obvious problems with the wire or connections. Could the coil have a problem that would cause it to not shut off spark?

ANSWER: If the wire is dis-connected, yes.

Was the wire from the ignition switch to the coil labeled with  a number or letter.

Did you use a jumper wire and try grounding the wire that connects to the coil to see if the engine shuts off?  The key switch is suppose to do this, ground the coil wire so the spark stops.

Let me know.
Eric

QUESTION: I didn't notice any labeling on the wire. The wire has 2 places that has a type of butt connectors with tabs that lock them together. I pulled the connector apart and hooked a jumper wire to the end that goes to the coil and I grounded the other end and it still didn't shut off. Next I bypassed the original wire by disconnecting it from the coil and running the jumper wire directly from the coil to ground and it still won't shut off.

Answer
How many wires are connected to the coil?  If there is just one, most just have one, and it will not shut off if you ground the connection then the coil may be bad.  However, I have never see a coil with this problem.

Are you sure the jumper wire and ground connection are good?  Did you test with a meter?

Did you have to remove the top engine cover to access the ignition module?

Let me know.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones