Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Riding mower won't turn over

Question
I have a six year old Arens 42" hydro static riding mower.  Not heavily used, once every two to three weeks.  Has been working well, last used three weeks ago.  When I turn the key all I get is a click.  That's it, just one single click. Not multiple clicks. Charged the battery.  Same thing. Took battery in, they said it was fully charged.  In abundance of caution, bought and installed new battery.  Same thing just a click.   Don't know if it makes a difference but the climate is humid.  Hawaii.   What should I check (that I can do myself).  i unfortunately don't have a trailer to drag to a repair shop.  Bought it at Home Depot.  They don't carry them anymore and were no help.
Thanks.

Answer
Lived in HI for 5 years...Oahu...not too many riders can in the shop.

Remove the spark plug first.

Try turning the engine by placing you hand on top of the engine.  Try both directions and see if it will turn.  If so, get on the mower and make sure all the levers are in the start positions, blades off, and see if turning the start key will spin the engine.

Let me know what happens.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones