Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Carb

Question
Hi Eric
I have a fairly new (5 years?) WeedEater lawn mower I bought from Sears, with a Briggs and Stratton motor. Sorry I dont know the exact make and model. I keep it clean, change the oil and spark plug once a year, but this year the engine started revving a bit. I checked and the spring and wire on the carb were stretched and bent. I took it to a shop and they said I needed a whole new carb because it was 'one of those cheap plastic ones'. I dont mind the expense, but I feel it is too new to have to make a major repair. I remember my Dad's old LawnBoy lasting forever! Thanks for your thoughts and have a great summer!

Answer
Depending on the engine model it may be cheaper to just replace the carb.  Some parts in the plastic carbs can not be replaced.  The combination of plastic carbs and ethanol fuels is not a good situation.  Each year, over the past several years, we have replaced a lot of carbs and it is getting to the point that it will more common to replace rather than repair due to carb designs and cost. Can you attach a picture or your engine
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones