Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Gas in the crank case

Question
Eric, I have gas in the crank case of a 28q777 Briggs engine. I have read extensively on how this happens, primarily through carb float issues. Rather than mess with a rebuild, I bought a new carb. The tractor started, I ran it for say 5 minutes and it died.  Guess what? I have gas in my crank case yet again. I was wondering about a bad head gasket but cannot readily find an on line link between my issue and the head gasket. Is there one?
I checked my compression... 70psi... I pulled the head. I have some minor scoring of the cylinder walls. The head gasket was intact but I can see a probable head gasket compromise between the cylinder and valve rod cavity. Tomorrow I plan on replacing the gasket, setting the torque on the heads and giving it a try. I will also attempt to adjust the valves ( I understand the principals but I have never done this before so wish me luck)
Can you tell me if I am on the right path? I assume that a new Oem carb is plug and play with no float issues...
Can a compromised head gasket cause my issue?
Any idea's on what else could be causing the draining gas in to my crank case?
I appreciate your time!
Larry

Answer
A bad head gasket does not usually cause gas to enter the oil.  The problem is almost always a leaking carburetor.

There are special tools to verify if the carburetor is holding 4-5 psi, as it should, to stop the flow of gas.  

Did you search You Tube for how to pressure test a lawn mower carburetor?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones