Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/LAWN MOWER

Question
QUESTION: CRAFTSMAN 917377790 LAWN MOWER BRAKE CLUTCH DRIVE HANDLE BROKE. TO FINISH CUTTING RIGGED HANDLE TO KEEP BLADE ENGAGED TO CUT BUT IT STARTED TO SMOKE I SHUT OFF IMMEDIATLY THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE DRIVE DISC SMOKNOT SURE ORDERING NEW ASSEMBLY IF DISC IS SMOKED HOW DO YOU REMOVE 2 BOLTS REMOVE BLADE BUT CENTR BOLT ROTATES APPRECIATE YOUR HELP

ANSWER: You will need to dis-assemble and check the idler pulley and belt to see what is broke.

Did you try using an impact gun to remove the center bolt?

Let me know what you find.

Eric

QUESTION: idler pully and belt are all fine and working. belt is not whats smoking .mower starts and runs fine untiling applying clutch blade brake assembly control . center bolt when turned rotates entire  drive shaft model craftsman 917377790 with Honda engine new assembly has not arrived .cannot see where smoke is coming from while mower is running with control applied

ANSWER: When you say drive shaft, do you mean engine crankshaft?

Did you try an impact gun to remove the bolt?  It should be normal thread, righty tighty, lefty loosy.

Thanks.
Eric

QUESTION: YES CRANKSHAFT. WHEN TURNING CENTER BOLT PISTON TURNS WITH IT.NEW BELT WILL NOT GO OVER ASSEMBLY SPRINGS ARE ATTACHED TO ASSEMBLY. ITS A DIFFERENT SETUP FROM REGULAR LAWN MOWERS HOW CAN YOU REMOVE THE BRAKE BLADE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY WHEN SHAFT cable assembly is accessible but not belt

Answer
To replace the belt on most BBC models you have to remove the BBC from the crankshaft.

Check You Tube for "Craftsman blade brake clutch".  There may not be a video for your specific mower but there are several for Honda mowers...your's is very similar to the Honda BBCs.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones