Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/riding mower battery

Question
QUESTION: I have a riding mower whose battery gets low (based on charger) after 3-4 hours of use. Battery measures 50-75% (only measures 25% intervals) after this this use.

Is this likely the alternator? How do I diagnose it?

It is a Cub Cadet HDS 2135.

ANSWER: The best method to test the charging system is to use a DC shunt.  Shunts can be expensive but you could make one yourself as there are plans/directions on the internet.

You will need a digital multimeter as well.  

Do you have a multimeter to test for voltage, current and resistance?

Let me know.
Eric

QUESTION: I do not have a digital multimeter (may be possible to borrow one) and am not sure how many amps a DC shunt would need to handle.

Maybe I should just replace the alternator and see if that fixes it. Are there any other likely causes of the problem?

Answer
Electrical parts for mower engine can be quite pricey.

Have you dis-connected the battery and cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends with a wirebrush?  I have fixed a lot of charging problems just by dis-connecting and cleaning the terminals even though they looked clean.

You purchase a cheap multimeter at you local hardware store or Harbor Freight.  Less than $5 at Harbor Freight and they work fine.

I rarely use my shunt....99% of the time just verifying the voltage is correct, mower off and mower running, works well. All you need is a meter that can read 10-15 volts DC...the HF models have a 20 volt DC scale.

Have you watched the You Tube videos on how to check the charging system?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones