Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Ryobi 790r

Question
QUESTION: My trimmer starts then stops after using prime fuel. I have changed the fuel lines, filter and carb. I took the muffler off to check the spark arrestor but there is no arrestor in the muffler unit. Any ideas?

ANSWER: Was the replacement carb a new carburetor?  Where did you get the carburetor?
Can you keep the engine running if you prime by hand?
Eric

QUESTION: I got the new carb from All Parts Direct and it is an MTD genuine spare.

No I can't keep it running with the primer.

Answer
That model is prone to some issues.

Have you checked the engine compression with a compression gauge?

Have you pressure tested the crankcase to see if a gasket or seal is leaking?

You will need to do a compression check to make sure the engine is capable of running.

Let me know what the compression is.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones