Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/craftsman mower model 944.600750

This lawn tractor started having issues this year.  it wouldn't run intermittently, then it would run fine.  Then it started back firing and stalling, then would start again.   then would run, start to stall on the high throttle setting, but would creep along in low, try add throttle and it would stall.
I have changed the carb solenoid, the fuel filter, only use new fuel, checked the magneto.  i changed the ignition switch which ended the backfiring and stalling.  Then then replaced the solenoid when the fuel issue started.  it then ran fine, and later started running only on low throttle.  i was cranking the engine, had fuel - could smell it an see it out the exhaust, but no spark.  I followed the wiring diagram in the manual, and for it to crank and supply fuel, all the safety switches had to work.   Replaced the solenoids, all three, and then it blew the fuse.  Replaced the old solenoids and the fuse, it ran about three times, now won't start - fuel is there, no spark.  checked internet re the " wire protection loop " - which isn't in the schematic but is on the next page in a general wiring diagram, and found i don't have a protection loop on this tractor.  

While all of the solenoids in the manual show as the same part number, one of the original ones has an 020 on the side and the other two have 030 on the side.  They all connect the in the same pattern.  Manual says they are all one part number.

What am i doing wrong ?

I would start by removing the top engine shroud so you can access the ignition module.  Disconnect the smal wire connected to the module and check for spark.  I always remove the spark plug when checking for spark or working on the engine. It places less strain on the starter and battery.
Let me know if you have spark with the small wire disconnected.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology