Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/JD LX255 not charging

Question
My Fathers 1999 LX255 had the battery light come on when mowing and he would have to charge it up to start mowing next time.  His battery is 1 year old.  I got new Kohler Stator (alternator) and replaced it, no change.  I got a new voltage regulator and replaced it, still no change.  Brought it to my house and tried the sequence with a charged battery (12.2).  I started and ran 5 min at a time for 3 different days, never over 12.3V.  Mowed tonight.  Five min into the mow the battery light came on and I checked it at 11.9V.  Continued to mow for 2 hours, light still on and voltage down to 9.8V, it does drop to 9.7V with the deck on.  Everything looks "right" and it mows very well, it just is not putting back the needed voltage.  Where do I look next?  Thanks

Answer
Have you check the message boards?  JD is very stingy with service manuals but I have see very similar questions with JD mowers.

You should check the electric clutch to make sure it is not drawing too much current and pulling the voltage down.

Did you dis-connect and clean the battery terminals and cable ends with a wirebrush?  I have fixed a lot of charging issues just by cleaning the connections even though they looked clean.

Did you download the Kohler engine service manual and check the stator and regulator output voltage?

Let me know.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones