Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Kawasaki Mule 3010 won't start

Question
QUESTION: HELP!!!.

I have a Kawasaki Mule 3010 (700 hrs) that was working fine until parked for a week and now it won't start or fire at all, even when spraying Ether into the carbs with the throttle open.

Compression is at about 140 cold on both cylinders and there is a decent looking spark on both plugs using an inline tester.

What on earth could be causing this? The only thing I can think of is that the timing has slipped somehow (maybe the Igniter is bad) but how can I check?
This is confusing because it seems that only 3 things are needed to fire and I have all of them: fuel, compression and spark.

Thanks,

John

ANSWER: Try new spark plugs...doubt that is the problem but I have wasted many hours trouble shooting to find out the plugs were the problem. Is it fuel injected?  Don't work on many atv type products but you did a good job testing...did you try priming with gas instead of starting fluid?
Eric

QUESTION: Yes, new spark plugs and it has a carb. The engine is a kawasaki FD620D.

I haven't tried squirting fuel in yet since in past experience, starter fluid will start an engine briefly (assuming spark and compression) and I've used it many times on small engines to isolate fuel and carb problems.

Failing that, what else can it be, it has twin cylinders and a single carb, so you'd think one cylinder would fire?

Could the ignitor be the source of the problem? It's an expensive part to swap without being confident and since I have a spark, I'm stumped.

Answer
It could be the igniter but like you said it is an expensive part not knowing for sure it if is the problem.

Did you download the engine service manual?  Use the URL below:

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

Page 7-14 provides resistance specs...easy check and you only need a meter.

An inline spark tester is a very handy tool.  I prefer the Briggs & Stratton 19368 Ignition Tester...it has yet to let me down when testing ignition systems and I had one once that would just the spark plug gap, shock you but when the inline tester was used the spark would not jump the gap.

You really only need one.  Just take both plugs out, then insert one plug back into the spark plug wire and ground it...just safe to keep the circuit closed.  Then just use the inline on the other spark plug wire and check for spark.

I'm sure other inline testers will work but most of my experience is with the Briggs one.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones